North Pittsburgh's PREMIERE performing arts and cinematic center. We present the best in live entertainment and classic cinema, many live programs are exclusive productions or exclusive engagements that can't be found anywhere else in The Pittsburgh Region.
The Strand Theater was constructed and managed by Gioachino and Rosalia Sapienza in 1914. Gioachino and Rosalia were Italian immigrants seeking a new life and new opportunity in America and Zelienople. In order to blend in with their adopted community, they became known to friends and neighbors as Joseph and Rosalie. Joseph originally wanted to build a fruit market, but the local banker convinced him that the town really needed a theater. So two-thirds of the structure was dedicated to The Strand, and the remaining third was Sapienza's Fruit Market. The Strand featured silent films with live piano accompaniment as well as Vaudeville-style shows on its small stage.